Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Seeing Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe was a really lovely girl. I know that might seem like a strangely obvious thing to say, but truthfully when was the last time you really LOOKED at her? Everyone refers to her as the golden goddess of Hollywood, but it's a little bit sad the way she has become a caricature of herself—the sleepy eyes, the pouty smile, the iconic pale blonde hair and of course the white dress blowing up around her as the subway passes. In fact, I think I see more illustrations of her than actual photos. It's so bizarre the way things work: the more famous she gets, the less "real" she becomes. I stumbled upon a photo of her recently where she was grinning and you could see a sprinkling of little freckles on her nose, and I thought "Wow, she's totally adorable. Look at that smile!" She seemed so real. Not an icon. Just a girl with a dream and stars in her eyes.

Stumble Upon Toolbar


  1. tis true! there are many faces of marilyn monroe! thanks for allowing me to just "look" at her. What an inner glow. And such a sad demise.
    It got my mind off of this number crunching bs at work! xox

  2. There really hasn't been anyone who holds a candle to her since, has there?

  3. oh, some of these I hadn't seen before, thanks for sharing. I want to pose on a diving board like that! lol