Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Welcome to Kindergarten my sweet pea.

This is Wolfie, the best little boy in the world! Impossibly sweet, kind, loving, a silly joker and giggler....and now a KINDERGARTENER!



A few weeks ago Wolfie graduated from preschool. It was such a bittersweet day. We're excited for him to move on and learn, but his school was such a lovely little place we'll really miss everyone.




This Monday, Wolfie started kindergarten. He was a total trooper and my heart was bursting with pride. He was so brave and serious, with his new backpack on his little wee shoulders!



Please note mommy with bags under her eyes. I'm a night owl and now with our new schedule I have to be up much earlier. Oy!




This was Wolfie on the playground lining up before the morning bell...one minute extremely serious, the next grinning with excitement.


Lucky for me, his teacher let the parents loiter around that first day and observe and help. Wolfie is a mama's boy but he wasn't clingy at all—he was so independent, soaking it all in and nary a tear in sight! I admit I was fighting them back myself.

Sitting with him at his little table is a girl named Sophia, a girl named Sierra and boy named Turtle (no lie—hey, this is California). He and Sophia bonded instantly when he realized she was drawing a picture of Mario (as in Super Mario). They both eyed each other, impressed, like "Oh ho, so you know Mario too??"




He looks so serious here, but within moments of these photos he was excitedly raising his hand and volunteering answers and singing (his teacher plays the ukalele every morning, how cute is that?). The best was when they started talking about time—Wolfie said, "I go to bed at 8:30 every night." Short pause. "But sometimes I go to bed at ELEVEN O'CLOCK! That's VERY late!!" Thanks child....but for the record, that's only on vacations!!

It sounds silly but as a parent you worry that they will make friends, that they'll feel comfortable, and of course that they'll do well. He and his best friends were the head honchos in preschool (all the younger kids looked up to them) and I just wanted him to still have that confidence. I'm sort of astounded at how smoothly he has made the transition. He came home today and said "Mommy I played with new people. Benjamin asked me to be his friend, and I said OK!"

I think he's going to do just fine.
Wolfie, I love you.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! Your little boy is gorgeous. I'd kill for his curls... and I laughed at the photo of his backpack, because it's nearly the same size as him :) Glad to hear his first day went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh.. Wolfie's hair is GORGEOUS! I've always wanted curls like that... or at the very least, an adorable child with curls like that... but alas, that is not to be.

    I'm so glad he had a great first day! Here is to many more great days... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on making it this far, mama!

    i love that first photo at his preschool. is it really called bernice&joe preschool? that's adorable.

    and that's one serious-looking bunch of kindergarteners sitting on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sweetest!!!!!!!!!

    And BTW, you better lock up little Wolfie is about 10 years. He's gonna be breakin' hearts is he hasn't already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww - such a cute post! Still in shock that someone named their kid Turtle though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone!!!

    Angel Treats: The backpack is totally hilarious!! SO huge! Thankfully it's not filled up and heavy.

    Punkys Momma: Thanks so much lady! His hair is pretty great. Never really gets frizzed out like mine does!

    ms-Pooka: Oh they were plenty serious, lemme tell you. Except for one kid named Alan who was all chatty (that name cracked me up....I've never met a child named Alan, only grown ups!). Wolfie was serious but lively (if that's possible). They were all very cautious. Too cute! I'll have to post an update photo in a month or so!

    whenigrowupcoach: awww, that's so nice of you to say! he is pretty darn cute, I have to admit!

    Waxy: I know....he seems really sweet. It's def the most creative name I've heard in a while! Mildly better than Jermajsty, Jermain Jackson's son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alex, Wolfie sure is the cutest. I'm glad his first day school went well :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. GO WOLFIE. He totally looks like he is made for big school. he is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Wolfie, you melt my heart with those big eyes and big curls. And seriously, that photo of him in the line-up makes him look like a tiny hipster (in a good way).

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am gonna cry! are you kidding me with the bernice and joe playschool??? how cute are they??? wolfie is such a star. love the highlights by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite photo was the one on his preschool folder.

    I still can't believe he isn't be kitted around in a stroller! He's a big boy now! Sniffle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How cute is he! Love it!

    Oh, I really want your address, so that I can send you your handmade gift...

    please e-mail me at mufninc [!at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oww, my comment just disappeared!

    Our babies are at school...They just grow up too quickly. What a lovely, sweet post... you made me cry and laugh (Turtle) in the space of a couple of minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a handsome young man U have lady!!!!!!!!! I love his green t-shirt ;-)

    ReplyDelete