Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You spin me right round: vintage playgrounds

As you all know, I am crazy about the 60s and 70s. I kind of thought I'd seen and remembered it all, until a friend sent me these photos of a playground that still had equipment from the 1970s. And lawdy did it ever take me back! I had TOTALLY forgotten about most of these, and yet seeing them made me smile. I know they don't make them like this anymore for fear of accidents (the metal designs are begging for injuries) but at the same time it made me sad that we are a generation who bubble wraps their kids. Look HOW MUCH FUN these things are....I am especially fond of the rocket ships and space themed playgrounds. Just think how many space missions went down on these cool things:



And what kid didn't want to spin around at a zillion miles an hour on one of these dealies??


Aw, look at these guys. I ask you, what's wrong with them? They're totally cute. So much more fun than the plasticky stuff on playgrounds today.


Oooh, yeowtch. Remember sliding down one of these babies on a hot hot day??


Or how about this? The sliding wall of doom. It was still loads of fun (when it wasn't blazing hot out and blinding the crap outta you)


These McDonalds playgrounds were hilarious. The Big Mac climber dealie? Love it! And the Mayor McCheese spinner....the best!

OK I don't know what the hell this thing is....but I admit it looks like it'll slice yer head off:

Ahh, the ol orange juicer! I loved these!

The capper, however is this guy. WOWZA! Never tangoed with him on the playground, but imagine how cool it would have been??


Oh Giganta, how we miss ya.


IMAGES: Props to scotamus on Flickr, who has THE BEST vintage playground photos, please check him out. And thank you to neatocoolville for the groovy MickyDees shot and to DivineCaroline for the inspiration.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

  1. who doesn't need a robot that automatically produces fun? Unlike the sliding wall of doom, which automatically produces pain. Or the head slicer, which is so broken down that it looks like it lost a bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I do miss the playgrounds of old! Over here, we used to have real sand in the playground. That alone was so much fun. Right now, it's just these huge foamy mats. I miss those McDonald's characters too! Don't see them around much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have a playground here with a new version of the caterpillar (at least, i think it's new) and another with a version of the rocket, but without the supersonic slide!

    i never realized you climb into a jail cell on the officer big mac structure. i totally remember those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am loving this post! you might like my blog www.imremembering.com. thanks for the great stuff!!

    ReplyDelete